Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Week 9 EOC: Frank O'Hara and Mad Men


This poem is very deep. I interpret it to be talking about ageing.
The line, "I’ll stare down at my wounded beauty, which at best is
only a talent for poetry”, is what leads me to believe the poet is
talking about ageing. He is saying that he is no longer at his most
beautiful point in life. As everyone ages they go through battles that
leave us all wounded, which is where I think his phrase comes
from. “Now I am quietly waiting for the catastrophe of my
personality to seem beautiful again, and interesting, and modern.” I
believe the line is about being replaced. I think that
someone of youth is replacing him and it’s tearing him apart. no matter what when you become older there is people younger and stronger then you. its how life works you are meant to be replaced at your job as times change because they are looking for new minds or your not strong enough for the tasks at hand. He thinks his personality is not as modern as the people are now. This poem has so much meaning to it and most of it is hard to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment