Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Week 4 EOC: Jerry Della Famina

“I honestly believe that advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.” – Jerry Della Famina
Jerry Della Famina started out in the advertising business in 1961 as a junior copywriter. He worked for a short time at an agency called Ted Bates and after that ventured off and co-founded Della Famina Travisano & Partners. Jerry said, “I was hard-core unemployable. I could never really work for anybody -- and so in 1967 I started my own agency and became, as my assistant told me, a publicity slut.” He is much known for being blunt and really shocked people in the ad world. He came up with campaigns like, “Before Hitler could kill six million Jews, he had to burn six million books." For the publishing house McGraw-Hill.  He is also the “alleged inspiration for the popular AMC Television show, Mad Men.” He also wrote a book titled From Those Wonderful Folks Who Brought You Pearl Harbor that made it onto the best seller list after he went onto the Today Show and went crazy. He eventually sold his company. He said,I sold the agency to the English for a lot more than it was worth.” I really think the company would be worth anything if this advertising genius came with it. After selling his company he opened up some restaurants in East Hampton. He really was never completely through with the business and one night a man from Newsweek was in his restaurant and offered him the Newsweek account. Obviously he didn’t walk away from such an opportunity and as he said it, “is I started putting it back together.” He has a true passion for advertising and would be such an inspiration to anyone I the business. He really changed advertising as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment